All sessions will be held at the Lake Community YMCA.
January 31 will be a Messy Play event. Children will have the opportunity to explore a variety of materials and activities.
Why is storytime important?
With an early introduction to skills such as holding a book or listening to stories, children have a better chance at succeeding in school, which translates into positive outcomes later in life. Our early literacy initiative focuses on providing the information and tools that parents, caregivers, and educators need to facilitate early literacy development. Early Literacy is the knowledge a child develops about reading and writing before actually learning to read or write.
What is the role of a parent or caregiver during storytime?
A parent or caregiver must remain in the storytime area. It is the perfect time to gain awareness of age-appropriate books, music, songs and activities suited for your child.
How can a parent or caregiver make the most of storytime?
By attending storytime regularly.
- By arriving a few minutes early.
- By participating when encouraged to do so.
- By not bringing food or toys.
- By taking an upset child out of the area until he or she calms down.
- By talking with your child about the stories afterward.
- By repeating the storytime rhymes and songs at home with your child.